Monday, March 22, 2010

Life Needs Music

Remember that game, Desert Island. Someone asks you what are 3 things you would bring with you if you were stranded on a desert island the rest of your life...well the usually response is a family member or best friend, a cell phone, or a favorite food. One thing that I rarely have ever heard anyone say is some form of music or way to play music. (Maybe a guitar is mentioned every once in a while) Even I am guilty of forgetting to include that topic in my response but now that I have realized it, I will be sure to include it next time I am confronted with that query.


A life without music would be boring and uninspired. I can't go a day without jamming to some tunes, whether it be online, radio, ipod, CD (yes I actually prefer CDs still, especially the mystery burned ones that you haven't listened to in some time) etc...but I have to be listening to it wherever I am. Its the first thing I do when I get to the office, home, or in and out of the car. I am never not without music. I just can't do it, it makes everything better and more enjoyable. (car rides, long walks, exercise, cleaning, painting, conversation starter or doing nothing at all) I leave it playing in my room, so whenever I do run in and out, its always there welcoming me. I like to believe that when you surround your life with music, you are happier and in my case, more care-free. (great stress-releaser)

For me, there is nothing music can't solve or at least help with:
Bad day? pick an upbeat song to get you out of the funk, or maybe an angry song to belt out and relieve those frustrations (it works, trust me).
Trouble sleeping? light melodies with surely close those eyes.
Bored? Dance tunes! Who cares who sees!


Last friday Catch Your Limit had their Happy Hour, this one included a Jam session. Tom, Michela, and Brock showcased their unbelievable talents by singing, strumming, and plucking away on their guitars. Watching others create music, I become envious and mad that I never picked up an instrument as a child. I know its never too late to learn, look at Michela, she just recently learned to play the guitar and is doing great. Banjo is what I would want to conquer -- I mean c'mon how cool is the banjo!! But even though I can't play anything (currently) just listening and watching others produce these fun and spontaneous melodies is so engaging and inspiring.

Best thing about it, music isn't going anywhere and there is an endless amount to explore and learn about other eras, cultures, and uses. So I suggest you turn on that favorite song, belt it out, perhaps grab a friend and get up and dance, life is made to have a soundtrack.

><(("> Erin







Life Needs Music
blog comments powered by Disqus