I was going through some of our old blogs and thought this one deserved to be re-posted. For one reason, because I am the author, but also because I think it applies to all the silly putty we've been talking about. As we begin to focus on planning for the end of the year and guide the future of our organizations I believe it's critical to keep this in mind...
I'm in the midst of reading A Short History of Nearly Everything, by the well humored Bill Bryson. During the introduction I stumbled upon a line that I love, it rings true not just for the survival of species but the survival of everything: companies, celebrities and products. Bill says,
"The average species on Earth lasts for only about four million years (organizations life spans are much shorter than organisms), so if you wish to be around for billions of years, you must be as fickle as the atoms that made you. You must be prepared to change everything about yourself -- shape, size, color, species affiliation, everything -- and to do so repeatedly."
When you conduct your next strategic planning session, team meeting or brainstorming session try to keep that big idea in mind. Be willing to change everything.
Earlier in the week, or was it last week, I'm not quite sure, the point is Melissa was marveling at Madonna as a great example of celebrities who've reinvented themselves. Madonna is a great example, for one thing she's made drastic changes in her persona, her music and what she stands for. Plus most everybody knows her. Madonna has survival down. Can you imagine if she said, "No. I'm absolutely not willing to give up the cone bras and the 80's pop beat."? We'd only be seeing her on VH1 Remember the 80's.
Consider what it takes to be willing to change everything about yourself. It doesn't allow for nostalgia or best practices. It means you're willing to give up everything that got you where you are in order to protect your future survival.
Perhaps a good exercise is to take inventory of your own or your organization's "shape, size, color, species affiliation" and make a note of what you hold most dear. Then next time you're creating personal goals or in a team planning session be conscience of it and be willing to throw it out the window.
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
The Ability to Change is Necessary to Survival: Bill Bryson
Posted by
Jeff
on
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
Labels: change bill bryson
blog comments powered by Disqus
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)