Tuesday, September 22, 2009

To Do Lists: To Do or not To Do?

Monday morning I woke up, after having a lovely, relaxing weekend in Gainesville with the family and friends, and it hit me...I HAVE SO MUCH TO DO THIS WEEK! Normally I am very laid back and easy going, not a care in the world, and if I did have something wrong I probably wouldn't show it.

After making my way out of bed and over to my desk, I sat down and began to do what I usually do when I have a full plate, write out my tasks for the day and week. In some way this calms my nerves a bit just seeing on paper what I have to do, not to mention the satisfaction of getting to cross off an item. (I'll even add things to my list I've already done just to cross them off.) Silly? You may think so, but I know many people who have admitted to doing the same.

After my list was created (a brutally long one at that) I went into work not really satisfied with my list or with the fact that I probably would not be accomplishing anything on it until I was off. It was just weighing me down. Happy, chipper Erin was soon called out by Jeff and Jonny on being way too depressing and blah, which I later apologized for and assured them it would not happen again (hopefully). Then, Jonny and I began a slight argument on why TO DO Lists actually stress you out more. I disagreed, obviously. I can understand his point on how maybe seeing everything you have to do could actually stress one out even more, but that really just depends on the personality type. I was only overwhelmed by the mere fact of figuring out HOW I would be accomplishing my tasks rather than the creation of the list itself. Jonny is a very fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants kinda guy and that works for him. Even though I enjoy that, and I am very laid back, when it comes to work or school I need to know that I am accomplishing something and seeing that on paper helps me.

So, back to our argument. I believe even for a person who is not that organized, TO DO Lists are a great way to just plan out your day or set a goal for the week. By seeing it on paper you are more likely to remember and achieve that goal. All you need is a pen and paper too, its very simple and its a great way to just clear your head of all those events, projects, numbers, errands, etc bouncing in that head of yours.


To Do:

Blog


><(('>
Erin

To Do Lists: To Do or not To Do?
blog comments powered by Disqus