"I just want you to know I'm going to be a star. A big, bright shining star. That's what I want. That's what I'm going to be." - Boogie Nights, 1997.
Organizations are laying off their employees, jobs are nowhere to be found, and internship programs are evaporating all together.
As a student, and soon to be graduate - times like these can be scary. But I've also noticed something I think is quite interesting.
It's times like these that we see the rise of shining stars.
And it's times like these that present a major opportunity for organizations.
Students are becoming increasingly competitive. Since internships and jobs are becoming more scarce, we know it's time to step it up.
I see Freshmen trying to land an internship the summer before their Sophomore year, I see Seniors on their third and fourth internship! At Florida State, the Advertising Club has seen an exponential growth in membership over the past year. They want to get involved. Every time I announce a new competition or project I have a slew of students willing to devote as much time as it may take and then some.
It shows our thinking is right on - we know it's experience that counts.
How does this present an opportunity to organizations? Because the best of the best will rise to the top. I have no doubt that some of the best talent in years will show up at your doors... and you can't pass them up.
After all, human capital is the safest bet for your money in a time where few investments appear to be a safe bet.
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Tough Times Will Lead To Better Talent
Posted by
Anonymous
on
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
blog comments powered by Disqus
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)