Google Wave: Love it or Hate it?
This week I have had the opportunity (along with Scott and Michela) to play around with Google Wave, Google's new real time communication system. It's self-described as a "personal communication and collaboration tool". I have personally heard a lot of buzz surrounding it but hadn't gotten the all inclusive invite to try it out, so when Michela threw one in my direction I was really excited to see what all the hype &/or criticism was about. It was a little overwhelming at first, as anything is for the first time, but there are videos embedded in your first "welcome wave" that can help get you started. When you create a wave with someone, it allows you to see exactly what they are typing as they type it, which I though was pretty cool and would be a great tool to utilize in group projects or meetings. I have had a lot of fun with the Sudoku extension which allows you to compete with other Wavers and rack up points. (Though some just like playing by themselves and getting 400 pts and think they are really cool for it-Scott!) There are a few drawbacks, everyone not having access to it isn't as fun but with more and more joining each day I think there is a lot of potential for it to be a great communication tool. There are a lot of negative opinions too, saying it's a fad (like they said about Twitter-which is still going strong by the way) or its the same as Google Talk, etc...I disagree and think that in time, once we all figure out all the ins and outs of "waving" or "blips" the world will be a better place-ok maybe not but we will have a really cool new feature to communicate with others on!
HAPPY WAVING!
><(("> Erin
Erin is a ><((“> Team Member at Catch Your Limit Consulting, a management and marketing firm with offices in Tallahassee, Florida and Richmond, Virginia.
To learn more, visit http://www.catchyourlimit.com.
Friday, December 4, 2009
Wave Hello to GOOGLE WAVE
Posted by
Erin Albano
on
Friday, December 04, 2009
blog comments powered by Disqus
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)