I found my issue of FastCompany in my mailbox last night which features an article about super ad rock star Alex Bogusky, his agency Crispin Porter, Bogusky and it's new client Microsoft. I read the article while I watched Anthony Bourdain eat sheep bladders, haggis and other disgusting food that looked delicious.
The article is fascinating if you're familiar with Microsoft and CP+B. CP+B known for reviving Burger King, creating the Truth campaign and Mini along with their fair share of bland is seen as cool and edgy-in a lot of ways is the Apple of the ad world. In fact the article points out that CP+B uses solely Apple products and admittedly wouldn't necessarily switch. Further, the article details how CP+B is only in the position to have Microsoft as a client because of how Apple products allowed them to compete with the bigger Madison Ave. shops.
Nevertheless I think it will be interesting to watch CP+B & Microsoft as they approach the challenge of making Microsoft perceived as “cool” in the way the article discusses. It is easier to see how Apple lends itself to creating such passionate supporters, after all it is the little guy, the underdog, the lesser known and it is much easier to root for them than such a large conglomerate. Apple has super passionate fans. Microsoft may but I've never met anyone who says, "I love love my Windows." Though you meet plenty of Apple zealots who will tell you how many ways Apple kicks ass.
Microsoft’s biggest challenges aren’t really advertising problems at all. In fact they are more related to bad products, more planning and leadership & culture that exudes arrogance. CP+B will have to walk a fine line with their creative because the truth is nobody perceives Microsoft as cool anymore and if this is how they decide to represent their brand it could easily be the case of saying you’re cool but not actually being it which is really just the least cool thing you could do-just ask any high-schooler.
Read the full article here
Tuesday, May 20, 2008
CP+B wonders if Microsoft will be a subservient Chicken
Posted by
Jeff
on
Tuesday, May 20, 2008
blog comments powered by Disqus
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)