While waiting in line at the post office yesterday which seemed to stretch out the door. If you are waiting in line at the post office hope you have lallergies or nasal congestion because for some reason the people who are at the post office stink. It is the smelliest group of people in Tallahassee for sure. I'm not positive as to what it is about shipping brings out the B.O. in people but stop by your local USPS and you'll certainly get an idea of the funk I'm talking about.
While waiting patiently, a task not easy for someone like me who tends to be intensly impatient, I was watching the TV they had to keep our minds off the smell and the wait. It was tuned into one of those cable news shows that has all the blah blah blah, tragedy, scandal, blah blah blah. There was a psychologist reporting on the upswing of suicide in teenagers. She expressed the need for parents to be more vigilant than ever with their teenagers.
The news anchor asked in almost Saturday Night Live fashion, "Thank you doctor for that advice, what exactly should we be vigilant of, what should we look for, what are the warning signs?"
The ever serious psychologist said, "Be careful of your children wearing black clothing, heavy metal, and emo music." I'm no psychologist but isn't this just a little too simple. It sounds like "the be careful of rock & roll, be careful of Elvis Presley these are the things corrupting the minds of our youth" kind of rhetoric.
It also mentioned The American Journal of Psychiatry issued the warning that, "antidepressants might increase the risk of suicide in young people." So I'm wondering is that listed on the side effects? This pill may cause itchiness, dry elbow skin, sore throat, bad grammar, or suicide.
I guess the question for parents is "How do I know if my child is suicidal or simply likes to dress like a vampire?"
If black clothing is a warning sign a teenager is going to commit suicide then it should be really easy to prevent these suicides, simply stop letting your teenager wear black clothes and they'll be as happy as a bumble bee.