Many, many times over the years, I've heard Tom say "Change is what it's all about." He says it in good times, bad times and hard times. I think of his words often when I think about change.
Do you stop and think - really think - about change? Do you create it? How do you react to it? I've been thinking a lot about change. I guess you could say that I speak change fluently. I am constantly observing, learning, writing, speaking and teaching organizations and the great people in them about change. And, as familiar as I am with change terminology, the emotions behind change, the cycles of change, the positive outcomes of change, leadership's role in change and what it takes to make change stick ... when I'm in the thick of change, I struggle just as much as the next person.
This year, change seems to be the overriding theme more than ever. Or, maybe this is life and at age 30, I'm seeing it from a different perspective.
In the last eight months, I've had a family member and a dear friend diagnosed with cancer and treated, I've lost my grandmother, my uncle and a cousin, we have a new granddaughter, I've observed my students struggle with career decisions, I've seen the economic downturn have major impacts on some of our clients and fellow small business owners, we've launched a new office in Richmond, VA (and thanks to our TomTom I'm learning my way around an amazing city), I've seen places in Tallahassee flooded from Tropical Storm Fay, I've seen gas prices rise to an all time high and wondered how people with less than me can afford it, I've seen kindness, wisdom, independence, love and peace slip away from aging loved ones suffering from dimentia, I've seen a young couple threatened by fallacies in our legal system and I've seen people come and people go in my life in ways I never could have imagined.
With new challenges at home and at work, I've seen changes in myself. I've seen strengths I didn't know I had and I've seen weaknesses that I wish I didn't have. With all of this change, I've had to look at myself harder than ever before. And, in the same way that we challenge leaders in organizations to set goals and develop written action plans for themselves, I've set goals and am following an action plan for me so that I can change in ways that I want and need to.
And, in addition to the changes from a personal or business perspective, I'm seeing changes in our world. As a young person, I see that my grandparents, parents, husband and mentors are more worried about the future and our country than I've ever seen them before.
I have voted in every presidential election since I turned 18, but I feel more vested in this one than any of the others. To be honest, I don't really know if I'm Democrat or Republican or Independent. I'm watching the 2008 Election more closely than ever with an open mind. Last week, I began watching the Democratic National Convention, expecting more boring political speeches about policies that I couldn't personalize. However, what I experienced was very different. On the very first night I knew, with all the change in this world, I am seeking leadership.
I was in awe of the Clinton's, what they said and how they said it. I know that one day when I lose something that I want very badly, I will think back to their speeches ... what great leaders ... they stood taller than anyone imagined and I hope that I will have the courage to follow their example.
I was mesmorized by Michelle Obama. Something about her is so real, so genuine and so right! I feel that if I met her, we'd become fast friends. Over the week, I've thought about her many times and something about her reminds me of Princess Diana. Seeing her speech made me feel that we'd only seen the tip of the iceberg. There's a depth to her that makes her so intriguing.
I was impressed by the Biden family as well. Beau's introduction of his father had me reaching for tissue after tissue. And, it was the first time that I have heard Joe Biden speak and I look forward to hearing more from him.
By the end of Wednesday night, I found myself thinking that Barack Obama had many tough acts to follow. But, on Thursday, he didn't let me down. Although I wished he had chosen to present with no podium and his sleeves rolled up, he still moved me. I felt that tingle you feel when you know you're watching history in the making. In Barack Obama, I saw the leadership I'm searching for ... leadership that feels right, that I can trust in, believe in and hope in.
According to the Associated Press, the audience estimate of 38.3 million means that Obama’s speech reached more viewers than the Olympics opening ceremony in Beijing, the final “American Idol” or the Academy Awards this year. Based on those numbers, it seems like I'm not the only one searching to find the answers to help me make the right choices for positive change.
So, tomorrow, I'll face more changes personally and professionally. And, in the weeks to come, I'll hear from the Republicans. And, who knows ... I may change my mind (highly doubtful). And, in November, one way or the other, we'll have a new President for this great nation. Because, as Tom says, "Change is what it's all about."
"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek. " Barack Obama
Saturday, August 30, 2008
"Change is what it's all about."
Posted by
Melissa Laughon
on
Saturday, August 30, 2008
blog comments powered by Disqus
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)