Since I was a small child, I've always been very observant of objects and people around me. I found myself noticing that the elderly seem to always have rather large ears and noses. I couldn't help but wonder, why that was?
I later learned this amazing fact. After all of the rest of our bodies are finished growing, cartilage is the one tissue that refuses to give up. As our bodies begin to shrink and wither from old age, the cartilage in our ears and noses forge on, sticking out to extreme proportions.
Jeff brought up an interesting thought, wondering why companies don't market to older people for their spacial advantage? For instance, they have way more room on their ears for more piercings than younger people do. They also have more need for tissues, as I'm sure their enlarged noses hold more drainage than smaller noses. I believe companies are missing a huge chance to reap benefits from the elderly, by advertising directly to them. When I grow old, I might not remember to notice my substantially large ears and nose, so hopefully I will see advertisements directed towards these features in the future.
