Companies keep finding new creative ways to make me give them my money. It's gotten to the point where I'm almost afraid to turn on my computer for fear of falling victim to the newest super-convenient marketing campaign. How am I supposed to afford rent when my iTunes "Genius" keeps showing me a hundred new bands that they somehow correctly assumed I would love? I have to buy them, it's out of my hands!!! Sigh.
I've put together a list of some of the products and services that have pretty much ensured that I'll be filing for bankruptcy in the next few years; I'm giving you this information so you can protect yourself from their seductive convenience... I only hope that you can avoid their alluring offers better than I have.
1) The iTunes Store- This is by no means a new service, but one that has consistently found new ways to wring out my wallet. The iTunes "Genius" is a fairly new addition to the iTunes store that tracks what kind of music you buy and suggests similar artists you might enjoy. Sounds harmless, right? Well, for avid music consumers like me, it pretty much triples the amount of money I spend on tunes. Since 2006, I've spent over $600 on music and videos from the iTunes store, not including the pile of physical albums I buy from retailers. Unless I find a way to turn these iTunes songs into food or shelter, I might be in trouble.
2) The Onlive video game service- This is a brand new service that has been being developed in secret for 7 years, and was recently announced at a gaming convention to launch in Winter 2009. I'm not much of a gamer, but the groundbreaking technology involved in making this happen is astonishing enough that I already anticipate it becoming a major threat to my bank account. This video describes what the service offers, but it's a long video so I'll sum it up: Onlive is a subscription-based service that allows people to play the latest console video games from their entry-level PCs or Macs, without having to purchase the gaming console. They go into detail about the technology in the video, and if you're at all interested in gaming or online technology, it's definitely worth watching the whole thing. Though I really don't have much time to invest in games, I predict a substantial part of my paycheck is going to find its way to Onlive's pockets.
3) Best Buy Music Center- I hesitated to mention this one, because I'm not sure how many Best Buys have added a Music Center to their stores, but for those that have, it's a sight to behold. For those readers in Tallahassee, the Best Buy by Governor's Square Mall has built one, and it's definitely worth a visit. I walked in the other day planning on trying out some new guitars (in case I decided to purchase one in the near future), and was one forgotten wallet away from buying a glittery pink Fender Jazzmaster. It all happened so fast; what I hadn't taken into consideration was Best Buy's ability to undersell any competitor who dared stand against them. In fact, they offered me a price almost $500 cheaper than the deal I found at Guitar Center or online! When I asked how they were able to make such a deal, the sales rep just shrugged and said, "We're Best Buy." My finances are doomed.
Don't get me wrong, I love that marketers are stepping up to the plate during these rough economic times, but until Publisher's Clearing House shows up at my door, I've got to find a way to escape their seductive offers or I'm going to end up in the soup line.
This week's listening recommendation is "Cannibal Queen" by Miniature Tigers.
Friday, March 27, 2009
3 Reasons that I will soon be broke
Posted by
Brock-fish
on
Friday, March 27, 2009
blog comments powered by Disqus
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)