Sunday, March 29, 2009

Get Up & Get Back in the Game


Our greatest glory consists not in never failing, but in rising every time we fall.
- Oliver Goldsmith, 18th century English poet, novelist & playwright

I love to play. I don’t really care what the game is: sports, board games, card games, business, life, I don’t care. I just want to be able to be in the game.

James Carr wrote about Finite and Infinite games. He described finite games as those played within boundaries, for a set period of time with the goal being one team wins. Infinite games on the other hand are those games, like life, where everyone is not only supposed to play, but by engaging everyone, everyone wins. In life, whenever we exclude someone; we all lose.

There are lots of examples in this world where people are excluded, but that’s not my focus today. I’m concerned with those people who exclude themselves. Those folks who for whatever reason decide they can’t or won’t play. Those men and women who having suffered a failure or set back cannot see their way to trying something different.

I write all the time about Henry Ford’s comment to the effect that those who think they can and those who think they can’t are both right. I have lost everything several times in my life; sometimes from my own arrogance, intractability and stupidity and occasionally through happenstance.

The results every time have been the same however; me starting over. The only difference has been that after the first time, I now know I can and will survive. If our current economic situation is the first downturn you’ve experienced, relax. I’ve seen several and I’ve weathered them all. Sometimes more successfully than others, but I’m still in the game.

Let me encourage you to view our current maelstrom as the opportunity to discern where you have the ability to best serve society. It may be as a business leader, it may be as a public servant, your calling may be the ministry or social work. What you choose is up to you. All I ask is that you get up off the ground and get back in the game.

If you don’t know where to start or you need someone to bounce your options off, feel free to write to me.

Before you do, however, sit down and write to yourself. Listen to your dreams and aspirations. Look about and see where people need help. See if you can identify the places where your gifts and society’s needs mesh.

As I wrote earlier what you choose is no where near as important as that you choose. Don’t sit on the sidelines of your life. Get up and play.


I can assure you, it’s fun.

Get Up & Get Back in the Game
blog comments powered by Disqus