Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Girl is Older Than She May Appear

I am creating a collection of lick ’em and stick ‘em warning labels for my forehead. My first one is going to be:

Girl is older than she may appear.

I am 30. I have been a business owner for 9 years. I have consulted for organizations of all shapes and sizes. I have helped create a not-for-profit and a statewide leadership program. I am a speaker and a writer. But, I don't look like any of the above.

I have come to realize that when I am introduced in a professional setting, a large percentage of people look at me and wonder why I'm there. Here's how I know - read actual comments below:

"Nice to meet you, Melissa. What are you majoring in?"
"Oh ... that's so great that Catch Your Limit allows interns to participate in workshops."

And, you should hear the comments that people actually have the nerve to say after I speak to a group of 50, 75, 100+ people.

"At first, I was very skeptical because you look so young. I thought today was going to be a waste of my time. But, I really enjoyed hearing your insights. Can I get a copy of your presentation?"

Now, I know they were trying to give me a compliment and deep down I do accept it. But, maybe our blog is the only appropriate place to ask how would they feel if I replied,

“Oh, well that’s great, because at first I was wondering whether or not you would need to break during my presentation for a nap because you looked so damn old?

Who are these people? Who knows? All I know is that when I look like one, I hope I never think like one.

Girl is Older Than She May Appear
blog comments powered by Disqus