Last week I started a series of blogs about my triathlon training; Despite setbacks, the race is indeed on and so is my 'blogathon' - thanks to my support team.
Where do I begin now that I've registered for the race? I can tell you one thing: the initial excitement is short-lived after you have parted with your money and realize the magnitude of what's ahead of you. But first things first... planning. As always Google plays a key role, but searching for the perfect training plan isn't easy. As I am onto triathlon #2 and have solicited about as much additional information I could handle, I realized you have to plan your own triathlon your own way.
I had to design a plan. I came up with an exhausting schedule of 3 swims, 3 runs and 2 bike rides a week, plus throwing in a strength training session or two. Then I googled the definition of moderation, and it was clear that the plan and the definition did not balance. Was I really meant to have a full-time job, renovate and move into a new house with my boyfriend, participate correctly in all my additional activities such as Leadership Tallahassee and Junior League AND train this much? Surely this wasn't going to be possible?
But here I am 2 weeks into the plan and its already working. The components of the plan work well together because when necessary I can be flexible; moving a swim day to a run day? Why not! Or realizing that my incredibly supportive boyfriend sleeps during the hours of 5a-7a (as well most of you should), which creates a window of time for me to train. The plan is divided by sport with weekly goals for # of miles to run, drills to swim and bike paths to explore.
Having the plan also helps me communicate to friends and family where the heck I am. Not over-looking the idea that my life has become one big schedule, its important for me to be able to see the training plan as a tool, to be able to share it with other budding triathletes, to coordinate my work and community committments, and of course to let my boyfriend know what nights are date nights! The important factor is that it keeps me organized, focused and even motivated.
One concept of triathlon training no one ever plans for, though, is the amount of storage room your vehicle needs. Having a small car is great economically but its bursting at the seams with towels, shoes and various bottles of goo (from sunscreen, body glide to bio-freeze). Maybe as part of the beginner's guide to triathlon training there should be an assessment of the type of vechicle you own, house/apt you live in; currently I have two flights of stairs to carry my bike up each time so make sure to adjust your plan accordingly.
Who would have known that through the stages of triathalon training I'd find opportunites to test far more then just my athletic prowess? Planning includes time management, organizational skills, and discipline, but for me so far even though my life is one big schedule I am having fun, I promise!
-Emma ><((">
Monday, July 13, 2009
Indeed, the race is on!
Posted by
Emma
on
Monday, July 13, 2009
Labels: Triathlon Emma
blog comments powered by Disqus
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)