I've started a series of blogs about my triathlon training; we are now into week 3 with both the training and my 'blogathon'.
I have discovered a secret on how to banish your ego: register for an open water Olympic distance triathlon. Trust me, your ego will soon slink away. This will be my first encounter with the so called 'warm waters' of the Atlantic Ocean and I am thinking it will not compare to the murky waters of Lake Hall in Maclay Gardens State Park, my first open-water swimming experience. I'm thrilled to see that Ian Briggs of Tri 3 Sports is planning a swim clinic on St. George Island next month. I am hoping that this will ease the transition from lake to ocean.
To me, heading into an open-water swim starts with one thing; how to calm the nerves. Doesn't the idea of an ocean swim just conjure up images from Jaws? Even if these days that thought just makes you and I giggle, the fear is still there. I also remember only too well the panic upon looking at the wetsuit clad, multi-colored-swimcap-wearing sea of people at my last triathlon. Staying calm is much harder than it sounds.
My ego, more to the point, is well and truly being replaced with humility. After the initial idea of being out in the open (did I mention the swim really is in the ocean?), I need to start with the basics, so I am practicing swimming towards a buoy. I have discovered I'm terrible at swimming in a straight line. I can point myself towards the buoy but somehow I always end up going in the wrong direction. This quite frankly results in a less then monumental swimming experience when disorientated and panicky; you look around for other limbs to grab hold of, but find yourself rather out there on your own limb.
Last week, my boyfriend brought a brand new concern to my attention. Being a Floridan surfer, he suggested that I learn about rip tides. So let me understand; I have to worry not only about my own swimming navigational skills, but the ocean's influence too? At this point I have to practice both my calming techniques and my breathing skills just thinking about it.
One great investment that I've made is the addition of my swim coach, Christine. The plan Christine designed is not only increasing my endurance week by week but breaks down my hour-long swim session with drills and practice time trials. Speed is not the issue, my focus is to stay calm and practice breathing. It still baffles me that for the first 400meters I actually forget how and when to breath; do you think this might get worse if I think I am being pursued by a shark?
The idea of having a well-designed training plan is becoming more and more evident as a key component to conquering this endeavor. It is supposed to enable you to think about nutrition, plan for rest days, and have positive thoughts to transform into your best possible race. A set plan will also help me to make friends with water; it could be the difference between loving each part of the journey and metaphorically holding my breath until I finish the race.
As Alexander Popov, former Russian swimmer said: "You don't have to fight with the water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move." Let's hope he is right.
-Emma ><((">
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
Putting Your Ego Aside
Posted by
Emma
on
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
Labels: Triathlon Emma
blog comments powered by Disqus
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)