Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Inspirational or just downright embarrassing

The blogathon continues about my triathlon training; next steps, finding a mentor.

This week it has become apparent that there is an inter-generational issue arising in my world of triathlon training.

During all three of my training sessions this week, regardless of the sport, I took a back seat to a Traditionalist or Baby Boomer and it made me think what an amazing world I am a part of, being a triathlete.

The sport allows those of all ages and abilities to compete. The Gen Y's can continue to develop their athletic prowess by over-scheduling their competitive Gen Y lifestyles. The Gen Xers, (the age group experiencing the highest growth in participation) upon realizing the individual nature of triathlons, forge independently ahead with no intention of slowing down. The Baby Boomers continue to test their level of empowerment and constantly challenge their awareness of their actual age. That just leaves the Traditionalist, the stable, detail-orientated die hards.

Then it hits me that the Traditionalist is just the kind of mentor I am looking for. I promise that if you're out there, mentor, your experience will be appreciated, your loyalty rewarded and your triumph of seeing me over the finish line will compare only to the triumphs of the great Sir Winston Churchill (excuse me, I'm British).

The Traditionalist (born 1900-1945) and Baby Boomers (born 1946-1964) are the most hard working group of athletes I have ever seen. At this point I have to point out that I am a Gen Xer and our mantra is "Outwit, Outplay and Outlast", another poignant reason I am a triathlete. Despite this, I really believe that the Traditionalist and Baby Boomers have Xers beat.

Perhaps one of the reasons the traditionalist excel at endurance sports likes triathlons is that their core values of perserverance, determination and hard work align with the qualities and committment needed to endure the type of training regimen and routine required for triathlons. For Boomers, perhaps it is their uber-competitive nature that allows them to push through 12 week training programs without fail.

I mentioned last week that I am understanding how to banish my ego, which is no small job. I encountered my "Speedy Gonzalez" friend Diana, a Baby Boomer breezing past me effortlessly on the track on Tuesday night. Just this morning the well spoken, gentle and kind Traditionalist swimming in the lane next to me created a tidal wave while speeding by me doing the butterfly-stroke; that incidentally made me chug down a sizable gulp of chlorinated water. I am being left in the dust by more experienced triathletes, regardless of their age. And as well I should. Good on you is all I can say to my fellow Traditionalist and Baby Boomers swimmers who shine amidst the ATAC swimmers (all aged between 14yrs - 18yrs) at Trousdal in the early hours of the morning.

So it lends my thoughts to how to leverage the Traditionalists' experience, to respect their accomplishments, to utilize their problem-solving skills, (one of you must have a solution to IT Band Syndrome by now), and recognize the achievements of this elite group of athletes. There is always something new to learn, a new goal to set, a greater time to achieve. With three sports beckoning, how could there not be? With that in mind I welcome those who are willing to share the wealth of their knowledge and experience. I'll endure the good and the bad, the great moments of success and the stories of trials and tribulations to cross the finish line.

I am in awe of every triathlete but for those Traditionalist that see me once and awhile, slow down, take pity and close the generational gap.

-Emma ><((">

Inspirational or just downright embarrassing
blog comments powered by Disqus