Written by Emma ><((">
I must say, my triathlon training blogathon is helping me stay focused and accountable. It also encourages me to be aware of my surroundings, be observant and it provides an environment to constantly learn.
The term 'Core' has become increasingly apparent to me as of late. For Triathletes a strong core will allow you to keep optimal body alignment for whatever you're doing (swim, bike or run). My core is currently letting me down. So, as often happens in a triathlete's training plan, we over look the importance of gym time and hence our 'core' is neglected. Mine is asking for some attention.
With that in mind I went in search of core exercises that I could do as part of my training routine. Obviously the obesity levels in England are raising as their websites provided an abundance of easy, well directed exercises. After my swim this morning I thought I would pop home and stretch out the exercise mat and work on my 'core'. Funny things happen when you lie on the floor in my household. My two dogs, a Cocker Spaniel and a Brussels Griffon Terrier think that it's play time, and certainly at 6.30a after an hour swim, I reminded them it was not. With them snuggled by my sides, I reviewed my instructions and realized I was missing one vital element; a medicine ball.
Undeterred by the lack of appropriate equipment I reached for the closest object I saw that could do the job; a door stop in the shape of a very large sheep. The image of two dogs lying peacefully at my side while I am crunching those 'core' muscles and lifting a sheep over my head, to me at the time seemed perfectly reasonable. On reflection I am glad I was the only one in the room and my boyfriend was tucked up in bed not realizing the potential of the situation for much ridicule.
It did however make me consider the other areas that we use the word 'core', try these for example; core knowledge, core values, core foundation, core experts and core competency.
Dictionary.com says core means "the central, innermost, or most essential part of anything" it is something that can distinguish us from others, can be the building block of an individual, a team or a company.
Why are we as individuals and as organizations willing to neglect something defined as our most essential part? Do you know your organizations core? How strong is it? Does it have a little pudge or is it morbidly obese?
I challenge you to keep working on your core, your organization's core and I'll work on mine, even if it means making a fool of myself on the floor with 2 dogs and a sheep.
Emma ><((">
Wednesday, August 19, 2009
The Challenge to focus on my 'Core'
Posted by
Emma
on
Wednesday, August 19, 2009
Labels: Triathlon Emma
blog comments powered by Disqus
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)