Monday, August 3, 2009

This I Believe

NPR has this great series where ordinary folks from all over record an essay attesting to their beliefs. I thought I'd share one of my beliefs.


I believe everyone wants to be seen as contributing to the success of their "team".

As such, I believe everyone comes to work in the morning with the desire to make a positive difference and to be recognized for their contribution.

I frequently hear business people say their people do not want to work.

In light of my belief stated above, my sense is that we as business leaders have created systems that, in many cases, make it all but impossible for our people to flourish and as such our organizations languish or fail to realize their full potential.

I've no panacea for correcting this situation, but I do have a suggestion that might help us reap the rewards we so richly deserve.

Start looking at one another positively.

Say to yourself, Joe's a great guy, he's capable and for whatever reason he's not performing at a level I think he's capable of. Then tell Joe you think he's a great guy. Be specific, give him an example of how you've seen him do great work. Then ask how you can help him perform at that level all the time.

Then, sit back and listen.

I believe everyone wants to help the team.

I believe this may be one way we can all help each other.

What do you believe?
Write me, I'm interested.

Gayle Turner ><((">



This I Believe
blog comments powered by Disqus