My triathlon training blogathon continues with a reality check; I’m lucky to be alive, and even luckier that I am healthy and passionate enough to do this stuff.
Feeling self doubt is not new to anyone, but half way through a 12 week training plan self doubt could have some pretty devastating consequences. The reason for the self doubt is the lack of progress I feel I am making.
Last night's 5 mile run ended in near heat stroke, forcing me to head to bed at 8pm. The struggle to look at a 50meter pool with any sort of enthusiasm this morning just further inflated my self doubt. Maybe I'm tired and need to re-read my own blogathon to reiterate the words moderation and balance.
Then my inspiration came by reading my tri-training buddy Jeffy's blog this week. Jeff wrote about the consistent pattern of whining he reads from others living for the weekend and just getting through a week without really living. And at this point as tired as I may feel and more then a little despondent in my progress the reality check occurs. I am alert, alive and can choose to be enthusiastic. I am healthy and have the ability to choose my attitude. I certainly don't just live for the weekends; my days are filled with pathways to have fun, enjoy my friends, work with a great team and feel the result of training hard.
A triathlon is a personal journey. A journey that in its own right, regardless of the end result, promotes health and vitality, it nurtures the enjoyment of life and yes I am a perfectionist but I am indifferent to success or failure if I learn to celebrate and respect the journey.
I have found my passion and reflection helps to remember how lucky I am. Do you continue to strive to find your passion? Can we really stop wasting time waiting for the 'weekends' to live life?
-Emma Good
Wednesday, August 12, 2009
Reality check; I’m lucky to be alive
Posted by
Emma
on
Wednesday, August 12, 2009
Labels: Triathlon Emma
blog comments powered by Disqus
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)