I've just spent a delightful evening listening to Tom McGranahan, Marie's dad, telling family stories.
My dad, Buddy, has been gone since '92 and I miss his stories. I have marvelous memories of him talking about growing up in the depression and serving in the Navy during the Korean War. Stories of his dating my mom and recounting the early years of their marriage.
I am the primary repository of those stories now and whenever I can get my cousins together with our children I love to swap our family's stories.
A lot of attention is being given to sustainability and the GREEN movement, lately.
It seems to me when we share our families' histories we are reminded that others have come before us. That we are building our lives on the foundations they laid for us. In addition, I hope we are reminded that our actions today will impact our children and their children on down the line.
It's not a big leap to then begin to talk about our nation's and the world's history and to recognize that our actions have far reaching effects.
So, on this lazy summer evening, let me encourage you to talk to your grandparents and parents and uncles and aunts and cousins and sisters and brothers and children and grandchildren. Share your families' stories. Share with the younger ones where their elders have come from and listen to the young ones tell you about where they want to take the family.
Sustainability resonates more strongly when there's a human face attached to why and for whom we're protecting our fragile island home.
Gayle Turner ><((">