Tuesday, October 6, 2009

#1 Key to Success in Business: Hire 9th Graders

Fire your MBAs.
Eliminate the most qualified people within your organization.

Qualification doesn't = passion. Yeah, I know, you agree but do you actually implement it?

I was at a high-school volleyball game this evening, the coach of the Junior Varsity team is a friend and it'd been a while (never been to one) since I'd been to a high-school volleyball game, so I decided to stop by and watch.

Half the team was sick. Girls were playing in positions they weren't accustomed to in order to compensate. You can tell when an athlete wants to win, there is a difference in their energy and it's visible. As a spectator you could feel the nervous energy as the girls tried to do what they could to save the game. The girls were the word "hustle."

What motivates an athlete on a JV high-school volleyball team? It isn't a college scholarship, a big contract in the pros or endorsements. They just want to win. Maybe they don't even know why. It doesn't matter.

If I'm building an organization and I ask, "who do I want on my team" the answer would always be the person with the JV Volleyball Player attitude over the person who has the perfect resume.

Most leaders, managers and those in the position to build teams would nod their head in agreement. Still, I don't think most organizations put this into practice. Why is it that job postings rarely say, "We're looking for passion." Instead there is a list of qualifications. Even if it does say it in the posting, does that really apply once the person is sitting across your desk in the interview?

Skills can be taught, passion cannot.

><((“> JEFFY

Jeff Brainard is a><((“> Team Member at Catch Your Limit Consulting, a management and marketing firm with offices in Tallahassee, Florida and Richmond, Virginia. He is a keynote speaker, facilitator, blogger and contributing author for international, national and regional publications. To learn more, visit www.catchyourlimit.com.

#1 Key to Success in Business: Hire 9th Graders
blog comments powered by Disqus