Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Can Anyone Break Down Schlemiel, Schlimazel, Hasenpfeffer?


"According to both the Kosher Nosh: Yiddish Dictionary and the American Heritage Dictionary, schlemiel is a habitual bungler and schlimazel is an unlucky person. Hasenpfeffer is a peppery rabbit stew of German origin. " -wiki.

Channel flipping last night I came across one of my favorite shows from the past, Laverne & Shirley. Now admittedly I wasn't even born when the last show hit the small screen in 1980, but the re-runs have persisted and I love'em. At one point Laverne & Shirley's crazy antics landed them in the #1 spot of all TV shows in the late seventies even surpassing Happy Days.

One thing I always wondered about was the theme song. Don't get me wrong I really liked it, in fact it was part of the attraction but what does schlemiel, schlimazel, and Hasenpfeffer have to do with anything? I've read every definition I could find but my confusion persists. Any thoughts? Lets see how creative you can be.

Can Anyone Break Down Schlemiel, Schlimazel, Hasenpfeffer?
blog comments powered by Disqus