Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Christmas Sucky Crap

Tis the season for bad grandmother style tea cookies. (Tis also the season for using the word Tis, I think we should bring it into use throughout the year). Most detestable are the green ones in the shape of a leaf with the black outlines and the ones with the hard maraschino cherry thing in the center of the driest cookie ever. Basically you can count them as landfill accessories.


Why do they even still make these cookies? I know they're probably cheap to make and maybe a few old grammies love them but c'mon. These cookies suck...Are these things even baked or did they just them sit out until their aged because I've never eaten one that taste like anything fresh. If you laid these cookies out and laid out a pile of chocolate chip cookies which do you think would be gone first? You can bet the CC will be gone while the other might have a few broken pieces torn off by desperate people looking for a sweet fix. All I'm saying is why make these cookies if we know how to make chocolate chip cookies? We don't still make records, we have mp3 players.

I know it is supposed to be more about the thought and all but does simply giving imply thought? I think gifts in this genre of "Christmas Sucky Crap" are actually worse than giving nothing at all. Giving these kinds of items suggest that one has felt compelled to give a gift but chose to do go about doing so in a thoughtless way.

I guess it means they were thoughtful about giving a gift but thoughtless about what they've gave. It seems that they are halfway there on the old "it is the thought that counts" saying.
Something doesn't have to be what you've always wanted to be a great gift...just something without little hard cherries in the center.

I've received several "Christmas Sucky Crap" gifts already this year. I've received them from people who gave them out of genuine goodwill, they didn't need to give me anything. However nice it was that they gave them the things still stink. I wish these nice people would just give them to a homeless man and tell me, "Hey Jeff, I bought you some gross food and gave it to a homeless man in your honor."

I guess I'm part of the problem because I'll continue to smile and accept these gifts graciously while hiding my desire to shove these little cookies into their mouth and see how much they like them. What can you do? It is the thought that counts.

Christmas Sucky Crap
blog comments powered by Disqus