Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Crazy as a robe

I thought my post about Christmas Sucky Crap was going to be my last blog of the year. As it turns out it isn't. I'm watching Law & Order waiting for Kyle and Scott to pick me up, (we were supposed to leave around 3:30 but since Melissa is a taskmaster I'm still here) and as I watch I realize that television and movies show crazy with the use of robes.


Some guy is pleading insanity, the cops , the lawyers, and the doctors can't figure out if he really is so of course they have him in a mental detention center. How is this indicated? He's wearing a robe.

This caused me to think back to as many shows and movies I could that included mental institutions. Patch Adams, One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, Girl Interrupted, all Law and Order shows the list goes on and on and in each one they represent crazies as robe wearers.

I've never visited an institution but I doubt they get robes...maybe the nice ones for non violent crazies but not the ones you'd see criminals in on Law & Order. However it is effective whenever I seem those crazy people in robes I somehow think, "man that person must be nuts look at that robe."

The wardrobe designers look at the script and immediately see "crazy" and think "we better get plenty of robes ready."

The weird thing is robes aren't that crazy at all. They are very comfortable so maybe they're not that crazy after all.

In the world of television crazy means robes. Be careful it is a robe world.

P.S. My wife wears a robe.

Crazy as a robe
blog comments powered by Disqus