Thursday, December 13, 2007

Flying Should Be Called Waiting

So, here I wait. It's noon. I am in the Jacksonville Air Terminal (this is such a comforting word). I left Tallahassee at 6am for a 10am flight to Birmingham via Atlanta. I think it's the via part that makes flying more like waiting. Atlanta is the black hole of flying, or the best place for waiting on this planet. No flight ever leaves Atlanta on time. I think that's because Atlanta's Terminal (my favorite comfort word, again) has so many retailers and restaurants that they have to capture as many passangers as they can for as long as they can so the merchants can make enought money to pay the exhorbitant leases they have.

Three changed flight times later I am still waiting, waiting, waiting in Jacksonville. You've got it. My plane from Jacksonville to Atlanta was delayed, delayed, delayed out of Atlanta. No telling how long I'll be here. Obviously none of the representatives from Delta know anything. No telling how long I'll be in Atlanta if I ever get there. The only good news is when/if I finally arrive in Birmingham I will jump back an hour. That's right, I will gain an hour after losing around 12. That seems fair. So here I wait ... thinking about what it would be like to fly.

The Wright brothers must be looking down on us ... smiling.

Flying Should Be Called Waiting
blog comments powered by Disqus