Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Get more singing twins get more economic development

“It’s Friday Night and the Mood is Right” this is the melody sung by the amazing mystery duo that approached me and my friends Friday night.

The truth is it was Friday night, but I’m not sure about the status of the mood. As my friends and I waited outside to decide if we should go and see the movie Superbad (we did). As we debated our options a lonely homeless person approached from behind the iron bars at Yiannis. On the sidewalk along Tennessee St. the man grabbed the bars and began snapping his fingers and singing “It’s Friday Night..” This really inspired us and we began to sing along. It elevated the mood of everyone with us and around us.

Suddenly I thought I had too many gin and tonics when I began seeing double of the singing man. When I heard the word twins from my friends I realized I hadn’t had to much to drink, there was in fact two identical twins snapping there fingers with one hand, holding the bars in front of the club with their other hand, gently rocking back and forth “and the mood is right.” After the song we paid these men for their serenade and decided to see the movie.

This is the kind of public services cities should look into if they really want to become a draw to young professionals. Forget the creative class, we need the singing class. We need more homeless singing twins. I wish Tallahassee would take the lead and start subsidizing these kind of services. I feel like it would be the most logical step in attracting and retaining young professionals. This city and others like it spend millions on their Economic Development Council trying to attract industry and business. Have they ever taken the approach of a twin singing duo? I doubt it.

Who wouldn’t want to move to a city where these guys stroll around serenading the population?

“Oh what a night”

Get more singing twins get more economic development
blog comments powered by Disqus