A lot of people are familiar with box wine. It is the cheap stuff...bottom of the aisle and often the pun of wine jokes. In fact I can imagine a scene at some kind of upscale dinner party in the Hampton's where someone says, "Oh Barb did you see that Chardonnay in the box. Don't you think it is just a terrible thing to do, put wine in a box, I mean it quite actually might be a sin."

An upscale French wine company named,
Cordier Mestrezat Grands
Crus (say it out loud if you dare) has
announced it will start carrying wine in a box. But not just any box. A
sippy box, specially designed wine straw included.
Can you imagine a kid opening his Ninja Turtle lunchbox removing a PB&J, a bag of goldfish crackers, a fruit roll up and a sippy box of 1989 full bodied Cabernet Sauvignon? Can you imagine the conversation, "oh jimmy not the Cabernet again, don't you find it a little tannic? I really prefer the Merlot , it has a nicer balance of acids and tannins combined with a really flavorful aroma it simply compliments the cheddar on my goldfish."
Cordier says it wants to offer a premium wine that will attract the younger generation. But how young? I'm 25 and I don't drink any products out of a sippy box. When I was in highschool I didn't either. So who are we targeting?
"It is a product that can sell in stadiums, hotels and airlines," says Vincent
Bonhur,
Cordier's head of marketing. Okay, wine with nachos?
Hmmm....Maybe the next concept could be a wine and cheese combo product like those genius marketers at
Smucker's who came up with
Goober, the wonderful peanut butter and jelly all in one jar product.
What do you guys think about the sippy wine strategy?