Friday, June 22, 2007

Owl Man - Part One


I am the Owl Man!

I can't wait to fly (owl talk) home from work, strip down to shorts. an Official CYL T-Shirt and flip flops. Then I fly (more owl talk) to the fridge, make a drink, head straight to the back deck, take a front row seat and get ready for ACTION!

I am the Owl Man!

I sip (make that slurp) my drink half way to the middle of my glass and then go primal. I screech, "who cooks for you, who cooks for you all." After repeating this six or seven times the barred owls start to appear in the trees not more than 20 feet from where I sit. There's one, then two and yep ... here comes the third one in for a landing. After they check me out, one of them flies from the tree and lands on the edge of our water fountain. He (smaller than the she) drinks a few sips (slurps) and then jumps in for a refreshing dip. Then, it's flies back to roost on a branch of the dogwood.

Another owl has wasted no time swooping down on an unsuspecting squirrel and impaling it with its talons. The owl and squirrel go flying off ... the squirrel will soon be swallowed whole. And, this will probably not be the last meal of the night. Barred owls eat as many a 1000 rodents, snakes, lizards, moles, voles, mice, birds, insects (they love palmetto bugs) and the like every year and they live 20 to 30 years.

"Who cooks for you, who cooks for you all," I screech. The answer is NOBODY! These guys don't chew, swallow whole and ultimately spit out the bones in neat little packets called pellets. I have been searching for pellets so I can open them up and discover what kind of animals' remains are well, you know, remaining.

I am the Owl Man!

When I go to bed I dream about being an owl. No grocery shopping, no cooking, no paying for takeout, no standing in lines, no table manners, no table. Want food? Don't pray about it ... prey about it. My ears hear the sound of a mouse a field away. My eyes spot it as it scampers under some brush. My giant wings fly me stealth like to my target. My talons strike home. I find a branch toward the top of a giant oak tree. I swallow the mouse while looking for more. And, the night is still young.

"Who cooks for you," I screech. "I am the Owl Man."

Owl Man - Part One
blog comments powered by Disqus