Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Accent, Anyone?

I've always been very fond of the English accent.

When I went to England two summers ago, you could say I freaked out just a little when I heard the voice come on over the intercom, announcing some plane departure or another, in an English accent!

Basically I've found myself wishing I had an English accent for most of my life. And since I'm terrible at impersonating any accent whatsoever, I've finally found the answer to my wish!

I read an article about a woman that fell out of a moving truck, splitting her head from front to back. She had bad headaches and back pain, but for the most part was alright. That is until she found herself talking in a European accent out of nowhere, about twenty years later! She's never been anywhere outside the US besides Canada, and has never taken a foreign language class. She has an extremely rare condition called Foreign Accent Syndrome (FAS). Sound made up? I thought so too. That might be because there's only been about 50-60 documented cases throughout the world, the first one being a Norwegian woman during WWII.

If you're interested, you can read the whole article at http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008315220_foreign27.html.

So my best bet is to have major head trauma, and hope for the best!

Accent, Anyone?
blog comments powered by Disqus