Wednesday, November 5, 2008

When Being Labeled "Gifted" May Not Be True


A friend recently told me that a study on child psycology divided a class of young children into two groups. They then told one of the groups that they were "gifted" and the other that they were "normal". As the children progressed in school, the group labeled gifted did remarkably well compared to the other one. The point being that naturally we only live up to our standards.


I'm not sure if this was a legitimate study, or that it is anything more than a theory. By no means would I just believe any old thing a friend rambles on about. But the more I thought about it, the more it made sense.

If we're told from a young age that we're nothing special, that we're just like anybody else, we probably won't strive to become better than that. On the other hand, if we're told constantly that we're incredibly smart, or really talented, we're going to continue working hard to live up to other's expectations. Of course, this isn't true for everybody. Some people have unnatural self motivation to prove the world wrong. But it strikes a chord with me. I think we need to encourage all children to be their best, that nobody's normal, or gifted, and especially not stupid. If we just tell them that they're a genius in their own unique way, then everybody can live up to their potential.

** On a side note, I must say this past night I was filled with renewed faith in the United States. Never have I felt so much pride for our country as I did watching the speeches made by McCain and Obama. I found myself tearing up like a baby looking at how simply a highly diversified country can come together for want of change. I'm so grateful that I was able to take place and do my part in this election, in something so much bigger than myself. I'm looking forward to this new president, and what he has already proven he can inspire in us.


When Being Labeled "Gifted" May Not Be True
blog comments powered by Disqus