Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Is this a great country or what ...

I took a newspaper from the rack, had a dollar in my hand and was next in line at the convenience store to make my purchase.

When I placed the paper on the counter to hand over the dollar and wait for change I asked the cashier if she had voted.

"No," she said in broken English. "I am not a citizen." Her voice was barely audible, so I asked her to repeat what she said.

"I am not a citizen. I cannot vote."

She pointed to the two pictures of the candidates on the front page of the paper and asked, "Which one do you vote for?"

I pointed to my choice.

She looked at me with a frown.

I asked her if I voted for the wrong one.

She again replied she was not a citizen.

Then she added, "but I can talk."

"Yep, that's what this country is all about," I replied.

She pointed to the other candidate and smiled. After holding her finger there for a few seconds she pointed back to my choice. "That's who my six year old daughter wants," she said. "But, I still want him." Her finger shifted again.

I got my change and as I was going out the door I turned and said, "is this a great country or what!"

"Yes sir," she said softly. And then she repeated, "yes sir."


Is this a great country or what ...
blog comments powered by Disqus