Tuesday, November 18, 2008

For a Human Press 1

At Catch Your Limit I make a lot of phone calls. Scratch that, tons of phone calls. It's part of my job and I love it. What I don't love are automated phone answering systems. I know many people don't like them, complaints about them are old as they are, but my complaint is a little different. To me what bothers me is they are so off message to current marketing trends that they seem outdated.

Like some sort of idea in the 80's or 90's to cut costs gone awry, they are like those corn-yellow bathtubs you see in houses that the realtor says, "this one needs just some minor updates." It seemed like a good idea at the time.

I can't imagine why any company regardless of size would want to have their first impression given by something automated. In an age and time when everything in business seems to be about connecting with customers, listening to customers, engaging customers it just seems passe'. Even Starbucks, a company renowned for creating relationships with customers has an automated "customer relations" line. When I was a kid, when automated phone systems first became highly prevalent I remember hearing adults complain about having to talk to a machine. That still goes today but what's different is that almost every company on this planet is claiming to be customer focused.

If I were CEO of a large conglomerate the first thing I'd do is remove the phone system and install some people.

If you really want to see the difference a human can make, the power of creating a memorable moment in a first impression give Brains on Fire a call at 864-676-9663 and just wait or if your shy watch the video.

For a Human Press 1
blog comments powered by Disqus