Monday, December 29, 2008

Great Leaders Listen

Right after the election I got to sit down with a buddy of mine, Benny Sato Ambush. Benny is the Distinguished Producing Director in Residence at Emerson Stage in Boston. You can read more about Benny's career at http://www.emerson.edu/emersonstage/upload/Benny-Sato-Ambush.pdf.

Benny was in Richmond to see an original work developed by David Leong at TheatreVCU. (He was mightily impressed) We managed to grab a bite of breakfast at Joe's Inn in the fan before I whisked him off to the airport. It was a full morning. Actors David Bridgewater and Michael Goodwin stopped by and it felt like old home week. Between bites of hot biscuits, sausage, eggs and applesauce we talked about a myriad of topics. Benny and I never find ourselves at a loss when it comes to things that interest us. As a matter of fact, Benny and I first met over breakfast and by the time that meal was finished I was sure we'd been separated at birth, but more on that another time. I'm sure you can see how much we resemble each other.

As I mentioned this meal was just after the election. Change was, as it has been for the last year, the topic of discussion. Prior to the election Benny had been choosing the plays that would comprise Emerson Stage's 2009-2010 season. When the election results were announced he tore up the list. He looked at me and said, "It's a whole new world." Now that sentiment has been expressed by a whole lot of people and it wasn't earth shaking. What was so cool was what he did then. He called a meeting of the students at Emerson and asked them what did they as artists want to say to the world. He then listened.

He shared some of their comments with me. These 18-21 year old young adults who have grown up with quite different influences than us, with their baby boomer parents. On a whole they were guardedly optimistic. Some expressed this was the first time they had been proud of their country. Remember this school's in Boston. Some felt that having worked on the campaign they had helped to change the world. Some felt this was the first important thing they had ever done. Others had a more wait and see attitude. While I'm always curious to know what Gen X and Gen Y have to say, I was more impressed by Benny's decision to ask them. Young people having opinions is nothing new. Leaders taking the time to inquire and then to listen is the exception. One local university theater department (name withheld to protect the guilty) when approached by their students with a list of plays they wanted considered for production refused to even read the list. I'm sure the faculty had their reasons, but how do you teach artists how to realize their voice if they're not given an opportunity to make decisions, right or wrong.

Well, since the election we've been hit with a bucket load of change. Our economy has faltered and stalled. Many people's homes are losing value. Some people are losing their homes. Banks are tightening their guidelines for loaning money. People are afraid and uncertain and as such are hesitant to make decisions because they don't know what to expect.

When the dot com bubble burst John Chambers, CEO of Cisco Systems,

invited all of the members of his supply chain to sit down with him and
together figure out a way to weather the down turn.
This is why leaders like Benny and John are such good examples. Now is a good time to listen. Engage your employees, your suppliers and your customers in conversation. Now is the time to discern what everyone in your world values. When you're clear about what all of the players value, you can then craft relevant value propositions and we can get our economy back on the tracks.
So, here we are almost a decade after the dot com bubble burst and I find that men like Benny and John are the kinds of leaders I continue to admire. Leaders who listen.

So, let me leave you with this invitation. Write to me at gayle@catchyourlimit.com or post your feedback here on the blog. Let me know what specifically you think we as business leaders, for profit and not-for-profit, should be doing to help get our economy back in gear.

I hope the holidays have been joyous and I wish you and yours a Happy New Year.

I look forward to hearing your feedback.

Great Leaders Listen
blog comments powered by Disqus