Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Optimism Tastes Better: Market Share and Talent Opportunity Abounds

As dismal as the economy and state of the world is right now I can't help but be a glass half full sort of person. I'm an optimist, I admit it. I simply can't help but see the opportunity that exists for companies these days whether you're talking market share or talent there is much to be had and at rock bottom prices.

Let's take a look at some giants of industry, look at Bestbuy and the opportunity that exists with Circuit City. If I'm Bestbuy I'd be out there right now stealing the little bit of talent Circuit City has left. Meanwhile I can eliminate the under performers. At the same time I'm closing in on becoming a monopoly if I can ride out the recession. How about Toyota? Are they going after a few engineers that are nervous about their job at GM? Or consider the opportunity if you're Hyundai that has wanted to move up in our minds in terms of quality. What can they do to steal customers from Chrysler?

The thing is these same opportunities exists at every level of business-small, medium, mid-size. Imagine if you're a non-profit that has been wanting to recruit top talent but couldn't compete on pay, right now job security trumps pay. If you're not making the most of the opportunity that exists right now, your competition is, which means you're GM and right now, you don't want to be GM.

STATISTIC OF THE DAY

“According to a recent Gallup study on employee engagement, about 54 percent of employees in the United States are not engaged and 17 percent are disengaged. Leaving only 29 percent of employees engaged at work.”

If you don't see opportunity in that statistic you don't have eyes.

Optimism Tastes Better: Market Share and Talent Opportunity Abounds
blog comments powered by Disqus