Friday, December 26, 2008

Joie De Vivre!

Falstafff, a literary character well known for his joie de vivre.

I knew the phrase, I just didn't know how to spell it. So ... I did what any of us would do in a pinch like this and that is to challenge google to take my misspelling and tell me what I should have written, had been literate.
Naturally, Google led me to Wikipedia and the following description: Joie de vivre (from the French joie, "joy"; de, "of"; vivre, "to live, living"; "the joy of living") is a term sometimes imported into English to express a cheerful enjoyment of life; an exultation of spirit. Joie de vivre, as one scholar has written,"can be a joy of conversation, joy of eating, joy of anything one might do… And joie de vivre may be seen as a joy of everything, a comprehensive joy, a philosophy of life ... "

So ... what prompted this phase and search for its meaning according to Wikipedia? Several things really, but the catalyst occurred just a few minutes ago while reading my youngest daughter, Lissi's blog. Number one, her blog has become my tonic for feeling good ... or to stay in theme ... for joy.

The way she writes about her life, her family, friends, kids and husband is simply, wondrously joyful. I always know Lissi's blog will make me smile all over. I literally get a tingle inside just anticipating what she will write about next.

It was her most recent blog that made me remember the phrase, joie de vivre.

My oldest daughter, Tovi, recently visited Melissa and me in Tallahassee and came packed with the holiday spirit, four grand kids and husband, Chris. That combination brought more joie de vivre in one visit than a billion years worth of joy juice could bring. The energy, love, excitement and commitment to get the most out of each and every minute of the day was contagious (as was my grandson Fisher's flu, but that's another story).

Melissa's and Julie's blogs located just a blog or so below mine also made me feel the joy! In fact, Catch Your Limit is all about joy. It is a core component of our brand and a pledge to spread it every way we can.

So, thanks Lissi, Tovi, Melissa and Julie! Thanks for giving me the true meaning of joie de vivre. That still doesn't mean I know how to spell it. It just means I know how to push control/V after copying it earlier.

So, carpe diem to all. Make joie de vivre your philosophy during this too short of a visit on this planet.

And, by all means, share.

Joie De Vivre!
blog comments powered by Disqus