Monday, December 1, 2008

Keep It Going & Mix It Up! / Connectivity

Once in a while your office may experience some technical difficulties. It can be a printer down, a network down, or maybe your computer burst into flames.

In any event, use it as an opportunity.

Sitting at your desk waiting for something to happen is only going to make you sleepier. Take the extra down time and maybe move locations.

Take it to a coffee shop or a bakery - just keep it going. Then, when you return to the office, everything is fixed (hopefully) and you feel great after that change of pace.

This brings me to another topic I was pondering over the holiday.

When is being connected 24/7 going to be mandatory by employers? One of my side projects has been the planning of an internship fair. The fair is in a time slot format - first come first serve, but you must sign up ahead of time.

I can tell you that the most connected students got their top choices and several interviews while others have yet to check their email since Tuesday.

And I'm sure we can all think if examples where our Blackberries have saved us from certain doom.

Even though I recognize the convenience of smart phones and I believe that eventually we will all be connected all the time, I understand the concerns.

Who wants to be checking their work email at 9:00 p.m.? I don't think it's that simple.

There is a little bit of a double standard from what I've seen. People don't want to be contacted past work hours, but if they themselves need something then it all changes.

I'm interested on hearing a few thoughts about this...are you always connected? How do you like it? Do you make a concerted effort not to be always connected?

Keep It Going & Mix It Up! / Connectivity
blog comments powered by Disqus