Harry Potter has made ga-billions of dollars for the author, marketers, movie-makers, and everyone else involved. Many aspiring authors I'm sure have read the books and aspiring film makers have seen the movie. I'm sure they along with many of you have wondered, "why is this film so successful and how can I make a book of equal succes?"
I have the secret and I'm willing to share it. There are actually two reasons that this series is so successful. The first reason is the name. If you've ever read the book or seen the movie you'll notice that the name "Harry Potter" is used entirely too much but with effectiveness. Often the bad guys can be heard saying "I'll get you Potter," wizard teachers proclaiming "Harry Potter what do you think you are doing usinng rat tornado spells indoors..." and even his friends will say "Harry Potter are you sure it is a good idea to go into the den of galjamore alone?"
It is because Rowling used the name "Harry Potter" that the books and movies are so captivating and she uses them over and over again to coach us into a trance like state. Notice that every time a Harry Potter movie comes out the name Harry Potter is in the title of the movie. She uses the name over and over again because that name is sort of magical and makes us keep being interested in the little British punk.
Imagine if instead of Harry Potter it was called "Mario Potter," or "Harry Geldstein." Who would care about those guys? No one. Below are some of the original names of the names books that Rowland discarded before settling on "Harry Potter."
Imagine if instead of Harry Potter it was called "Mario Potter," or "Harry Geldstein." Who would care about those guys? No one. Below are some of the original names of the names books that Rowland discarded before settling on "Harry Potter."
Richard Camfelt and the Sorcerers Salt water taffy
Milt Berncart and the Chamber of Commerce
Ira Plenski and the Cup of Warm Cider
The second reason Harry Potter was so successful is Rowland is a magician herself (if she wasn't how else would she know so much about being one) and put a spell on the entire world to make us love Harry Potter. What she doesn't know is I'm on to her magic secrets.
So the lesson is come up with a good name for your character (I can help you with this) or learn magic and put spells on everyone.
