
I recently finished 5th out of ten people in a contest for mediocre excellence. While some refuse to admit to being mediocre, I embrace it and have been recognized.
The people at the Association of Mediocre People give out only one trophy, and it goes to the fifth place finisher for which I am the recipient.
I don’t win a whole lot and yet I don’t lose a bunch either. Some people are really good at some things and horrible at others, they have balance. Hopefully this doesn’t come off conceded but I am not really horrible at anything. But then again I don’t think I am particularly great at anything.
Given these facts I must posture the question: Is it better to be really great at one thing and horrible at others or mediocre across the board?
I feel it necessary to explain the inherent advantages of being 5th out of a ten person race. Would you pick somebody who is mediocre at CPR to save your life? I bet not. That way I wouldn’t have to put my lips on some 400 pound fatty who got caught in a riptide.
I’m sure all of you have heard by now the saying ‘dare to be great’. Some people live by that motto. I live by the motto “Prepare to be mediocre but do it half-assed.”
Friday, May 25, 2007
Prepare to be mediocre but do it half-assed.
Posted by
Kyle
on
Friday, May 25, 2007
blog comments powered by Disqus
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)